Monday, June 8, 2015

Starlight

Well, hello again.  How's it going?  I haven't posted in a few days, and I'm sorry about that, but it was the weekend.  You know how it is.  Places to go and people to see and all that. 

When is the last time you went outside at night and just looked at the stars?  For me, it was Saturday- and it was spectacular.  I saw one shooting star and two satellites as I stared up into space while we sat in the boat.  We were at Hunter's Lake, which I feel, is pretty remote.  It's about 10 miles from World's End State Park and I think it's in Sullivan County, but I could be wrong about that. 

It's calm there.  Tranquil, quiet, and even when it's "busy" it's not so bad.  Funny thing is, I didn't want to go.  I thought it would be a waste of fuel and just extra travel time on the car.  I was all grouchy about it, but something funny happened.  We launched the boat and everything was so still.  We launched right around 8:30 and there were only two other boats on the lake in addition to 2 kayaks. 

The parking lot is stone and it's relatively small.  Here's a photo of the lake looking west.  It's about halfway down the lake- the dam is on the east side.  It's relatively long and is electric motor only, which is super duper nice. 


I will have to say that it was a little piece of heaven, floating in the boat and watching the stars come out one at a time.  Some are very twinkly, some bright.  I knew the names of none of them, sadly.  What I can tell you is that there, in that silence, stillness, darkness, and loveliness, that I realized what I'd been missing out on.  I must do that again, and soon.  Not just looking at stars, but sitting quietly and being still in the presence of nature.  

In other news, I wish I had a bowl of Count Chocula.  Because it's delicious.  

Do you remember what the Count looked like when we were kids?  

Ahh-ahh, remember me, kids?  
I'm a friendly cartoon vampire with a delicious chocolatey cereal!  Ahh-ahh! 

I saw good old Count Chocula in the grocery store a few days ago, and eegads is he icky looking..  Time has not been kind to this breakfast icon.

Um...see what I mean?  Yeowza. 

I'll leave you to chew on that for awhile.  ;) 

Till next time,

Mandy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment